It’s been a big year for Melbourne based, self-professed ‘galactic soul breaks’ trio PASSERINE. Phoebe Dubar (vocals, viola), Ben Murphy (live production) and Alex Gooding (drums) are rapidly establishing themselves as an act to watch with their organic/electronic sound, a combination of dark, glitchy beats and swirling synths, driven by catchy pop hooks and soulful vocals.
In late 2015 they were named as semi finalist in the International Songwriting Competition with their stand alone single ‘Set Me Alight’, which was also named Channel V’s DISCO(V)ER clip earlier in the year. After featuring on the summer festival circuit (St Kilda Festival, Moomba, Australia Day, Roar Festival Dubbo) and embarking on two east coast tours, the trio delivered their sophomore EP, ‘The Morning After /The Night Before’. Produced by Nic Lam (Jaala, dXheaven, Red Bull Music Academy), the 5 track EP featured singles ‘Look Up’ and ‘Lost In Each Other’ and their bombastic, electronic reworking of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Tusk’.
Current single, ‘Synthetic Heart’ saw the trio move in a slightly different sonic direction, and for the first time they produced and recorded it themselves. Released in June, it was incredibly well received both in Australia and abroad:
“an example of the darker side of pop done right” (Purple Sneakers’ Premiere)
“Groovy and amorphous, “Synthetic Heart” is a collection of celestial sounds that undulate through spacey chords and body-shaking breakdowns.” (Indie Shuffle)
“Synthetic Heart” Showcases Human Emotion & Forward-Thinking Artistry” (thissongslaps)
“Passerine have delivered a new single that’s truly a head turner.” (Stoney Roads)
Coming months will see PASSERINE back in the studio working on a follow up single, before they hit the road to tour it. Early 2017 should see the release of their third EP.
Join PASSERINE as they continue their journey of great music, dynamic live performances and all-round good times.
– Release debut single ‘Ready to Begin’ (2013)
– The Aston Shuffle premieres ‘Paris Morning’ on Triple J (2013)
– The Aston Shuffle premieres ‘Paris Morning (GLOVES Remix)’ on Triple J (2013)
– Dual semi-finalist in the prestigious International Songwriting Competition (‘Paris
Morning’ – 2013, ‘Set Me Alight’ – 2015)
– Named one of HillyDilly’s Top 25 Genre Busters of (2013)
– Release debut self-titled EP (2014)
– ‘Set Me Alight’ national mini-tour (2015)
– ‘Set Me Alight’ music video voted as CHANNEL [V]’s DISCO[V]ER Artist for February (2105)
– ‘Set Me Alight’ music video added to CHANNEL [V] rotation (2015)
– Collaboration with UK producer Dolo Jones on ‘Can’t Give You Up’ (2015)
– ‘Look Up’ east coast tour (2015)
– QLD Summer tour (2016)
– Release sophomore EP, ‘The Morning After / The Night Before’ (2016)
– ‘The Morning After / The Night Before’ national mini tour 2016
– Release ‘Synthetic Heart’ (2016)
Tour Supports & Festivals
– Australia Day 2016 Concert Melbourne w/ Tim Rogers & The Bamboos, The Getaway Plan
– Moomba 2016 w/ City Calm Down, Briggs, British India, Alpine.
– Roar Festival w/ Seth Sentry, Tkay Maidza, Hayden James, Slumberjack.
– Boney M (GER)
– Icehouse (AUS)
– Vaudeville Smash (AUS)
– Sex on Toast (AUS)
– Million Dollar Pony Club at Melbourne Fringe Festival w/ Back Back Forward Punch, Kids at
Midnight and Rachel by the Stream.
– Million Dollar Pony Club, Melbourne Music Week w/ Au Dre, Dear Plastic, Kids at Midnight.
– I’m New Here Festival w/ Ngaiire, LANKS, Animaux and The Harpoons.
– St Kilda Festival 2014, 2015 and 2016
– The Hills Are Alive Festival w/ Jakubi, Willow Beats, Sticky Fingers, Fractures & Tkay
– Live on the Lawn w/ Clare Bowditch, Josh Pyke & Bernard Fanning